Ashley Diamond Siegert, CPP Cr. Photog
It's no secret that Birth Photography is one of the hottest trends in the market. While it is an INCREDIBLE way to build your business, I'll be honest, it's not for everyone.
Here are a few things to consider if you are thinking about adding Births to your product line.
1. Why do you want to be a birth photographer? What about births appeals to you? Is it the miracle of life? Photojournalism and story telling? Knowing your "why" will help you craft your marketing message, and help you through some long nights in the hospital.
2. Are you prepared to be on-call all of the time? Babies come when babies want to come. This may be in the middle of the work day, the middle of the night or the middle of your tropical vacation. While having a backup photographer can help you navigate your schedule, you need to be prepared to have your gear packed and ready in your car during your next night out with your honey bunny.
3. Do you have support at home? If you have kids, the logistics of birth photography can be tricky. You have to be able to leave at any time. Do you have backup child care? Is your spouse ok with you leaving at a moment's notice? Who is going to feed the dog?
4. How close do you live to a hospital or birthing center? How many birthing facilities do you live near? Proximity to the delivery room can often be the difference between getting there in time and missing a birth, so if you are 30 miles to the closest hospital, you will want to consider your options.
5. Are you skilled at photographing in all types of light? Delivery rooms are all over the place in terms of light. Sometimes its super dark, sometimes operating room lights are incredibly hot. Do you know what to do to create a fantastic exposure every time?
6. Are you squeamish? Get ready because anything can happen and there is no room for you to faint at the sight of blood, amniotic fluid, or placenta.
I know what you are thinking, "Ashley, why are you trying to scare us away from Births?" I promise I am not. I WANT you to add births to your product line. In my program, The Ultimate Birth Photography Resource, I teach all about how adding births can blow your business up to 6 figures. I love serving my clients in this way. It is my favorite thing to photograph. However, if you are going to to it, I want you to do it right.
So think through these points and if you are still ready to jump in, lets do this. You won't regret it.
And get updates on The Ultimate Birth Photography Resource